Video of the Day

Wednesday 22 August 2012

Should We Slap This Model or Hug Him For Once Refusing to Cut His Dreadlocks?


I remember very clearly that this Nigerian model, Yomi Dread once told me the story of how he chose to keep his dreadlocks even when clients insisted that he shaves it off as a condition for getting hired for jobs.


Guess what? He also once played football alongside Nigeria's ex international, Taribo West

Well, i would like to know if we should slap him for this or shower him with hugs.

These was how the interview went:

I’m Yomi Showkunbi a.k.a Yomi Dread. My parents are from Ogun State and I’m a Christian. At a point in my life, I played football professionally. I was playing in South Africa before I picked up a devastating knee injury and came back home. The injury was so serious, I had to quit soccer. I remember that while I was still playing soccer, Modella once walked up to me and told me I had a good physique. He advised me to go into modeling in addition to the soccer I played. The following day, he took me for an audition. That was the first job I did for him way back in 1995. It was a Coca Cola job. After the injury, I went back to him and he was aware of the inury. He advised me to join his rehearsal classes.


While playing soccer, I played central just like Taribo West because I used to look up him. Taribo and I stayed together for six years while he was playing for my uncle’s club, VIP. Back then, I used to train with Taribo and others. However, due to the injury, I left football for modeling full time. I started with the rehearsals. Interestingly, the rehearsals came easy. It might have been hard for me but because of the physical demands of being a footballer, I was already used to physical drills. Therefore, while many developed cold feet at the exercises, I always looked forward to them. The exercises and fitness classes were always on Fridays and I really enjoyed them. It was fun.

Modeling can be an amazing thing. You can start modeling today and start getting jobs almost immediately and on the other hand, you could come into and the jobs just refuse to come as you expect them to. Whatever happens, one must not lose focus. You could come into it the same time your friend did and you suddenly realise that your friend is getting jobs while you aren’t getting any. If you allow this to discourage you, you’ll lose focus. It’s about one’s time and believing.
Initially, there wasn’t much encouragement but as time went by, I began to encourage myself. I realized the industry was competitive-everybody wants to look tight. I decided to give myself an identity. Right now, I have seven ear rings on a single ear. This combined with my dreadlocks has given me a strong identity. Wherever I go into, I effortlessly turn heads.

The experience so far has been okay but there have been some challenging moments. For instance, there was a point in my career when whenever I went for auditions, I would be told that I had all they wanted. They would however ask me if I could lose my dreadlocks. The truth is that if I wasn’t focused, I might have cut my dreadlocks to get some jobs. It got so bad that I attended seven auditions and they all wanted me to lose my dreadlocks. I said no and I remember it didn’t stop me from getting my first job (Style Selection by St.Moritz in 2004). They really loved my dreadlocks. They even made it clear to me that the reason why they picked me was my dreadlocks and my build.

I remember that I was supposed to do a job for V Mobile and they asked me if I could take off my dreads. I would have gotten about N200, 000 from the job but I refused to lose my dreads. I later did a job for wrangler with the dreads because the guys loved it. This however doesn’t change the fact that every man has his price. If for instance, you offer me N30 million, I’ll pull it off right away. Only a mad man would refuse such an offer. If I must pull the dreads off, then the offer must be in millions.

Modeling is my nature. I’ve posed without clothes a couple of times. I love being unique and I love what I’m doing. I don’t care what people think or say about me. I recently posed like that for a magazine called ‘creativity.’ I have a brother and sister who are married. When I started, they were always giving me funny looks and asking me questions but not anymore. My mirror usually dictates my mood. If I look into the mirror and I’m happy, I’m ok. I don’t let people tell me if I look okay or not. Now, my brother sees me on TV.

I use my physique to make money and not trouble. Whenever I sense trouble, I move away to safer grounds. I make myself as scarce as possible.
I don’t spend much on my wardrobe because most times, designers kit me. What I spend money on is shoes. I love good shoes. I have a girlfriend but I’m not thinking about marriage now.

[From the ARCHIVES]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers