Video of the Day

Wednesday 22 August 2012

Shall We Slap D'banj or Hug Him Over These Comments About Nigerian Music and International Collaborations?


Once upon a time, i had a very short chat with Nigeria's music star, D'banj and he made some very germane comments about international collaborations and i'm quite eager to know if we should shower him with slaps or hugs...

Back then, he was still under the Mo Hits Records and these was how he responded to a question i asked him about the now defunct Mo Hits All Stars and international collaborations:

"For D’Banj and Mo Hits All Stats, we just finished our album with Mo Hits Records and it was scheduled to come out on December 26, 2007. That’s the first collaboration that I have done. I believe its high time the international artistes to come and start paying me money to do tracks with them. This would strongly help them break into the African market. We have the population and they need it."

Also, at the time, he was singing about subject matters that many considered morally twisted and he had this to say in his defense:

If people say my songs are corrupt, I’ll ask which one. Which one of my songs is corrupt? Is ‘Why Me’ a corrupt song? It’s just made up of two words: ‘why’ and ‘me.’ ‘Why Me’ is a straight forward song. Once you’re successful in life, people begin to ask questions about so and that’s what gave birth to the song. ‘Anaconda’ on the other hand is a word in the dictionary.

Are you one of those who has always wondered how the singer handles his female fans especially given his single status and he explained it this way:


Handling the pressure from my ‘Kokolets’ isn’t too difficult because I stay more around my men. I don’t even get to see them.

How well would D'banj fare as a movie star. Well, I was curious, asked him and this was the feedback i got:


No movies for now. Music is big enough. I said this when I was given the United Nations Ambassador for Peace Award. I made it very clear in front of the United Nations office that music is bigger than oil. That’s what I do and there’s a lot of money in it.

[From the ARCHIVES]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers